The growth of the internet in Kenya has been steady over the past few years. The private sector has taken a lead role in ensuring that the wheel of global internet growth keeps moving in the country. There is a tremendous increase in the number of businesses which are interested in establishing their presence on the internet.
Kenya, and especially Nairobi, has consequently witnessed a phenomenal growth in the quality of local web hosting firms.
Web hosting has also become more affordable as more players join the fray. There are several webhosting companies which offer an array of services in Kenya. Yet, the country’s potential for internet growth supersedes the level of business entities by far. There is plenty of room for new entrants to make an impact.
10 Best Web Hosting Companies in Kenya
Here are 10 web hosting companies that are often considered to be among the best in Kenya:
- Bluehost – Known for its reliability, performance, and affordability. A great choice for small to medium-sized businesses and personal websites.
- HostGator – Offers a wide range of hosting plans, including shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting, making it a great option for businesses of all sizes.
- InMotion – Known for its high-performance servers, excellent customer service, and money-back guarantee. A great choice for businesses with high traffic websites.
- A2 Hosting – Known for its fast page load speeds and a wide range of hosting options, including shared, VPS, reseller, and dedicated hosting.
- GreenGeeks – Known for its commitment to environmentally-friendly practices, GreenGeeks offers shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting.
- Dreamhost – A popular choice among small businesses and individual users, offering shared, VPS, and dedicated hosting, as well as a cloud hosting platform.
- SiteGround – Known for its excellent customer support, SiteGround offers shared, cloud, and dedicated hosting, as well as specialized WordPress hosting.
- Hostinger – offers a wide range of hosting options and plans, starting at a very low price, making it an accessible option for those on a budget.
- Namecheap – offers a variety of hosting services, including shared hosting, VPS, dedicated hosting, and reseller hosting.
- WP Engine – Specialized in WordPress Hosting, WP Engine offers managed WordPress hosting and has a good reputation of providing secure, fast and reliable service.
Note: These are popular Hosting companies and it will vary person to person as per their requirement and budget. Some other factors may also play a role such as the location of the data centers, Uptime guarantees, Scaling options, additional features etc. This is just a starting point for you to conduct your own research and determine the best hosting provider for your specific needs.
A web host is more like a rented storage space for your files and apps. There are several web hosting options available for interested users in Kenya. Some of the daring and controversial options for hosting include
- i. To Buy Your Own Server
Buying your own server allows you freedom. The freedom includes your total control over what you do with it.
However, buying your own server does not solve all your problems like a magic wand does. Owning a server is a tall order in its own right. As a server owner, you need to maintain it constantly.
You also need a technical team that will create the necessary infrastructure to keep you present on the web.
The controversial bit of this option is the fact that it is an expensive venture. Most companies can simply not afford to put up and maintain a web server. The technical challenges are obviously digressive to the core business of the company. It is best to leave the development and maintenance of servers to people who are dedicated to this course.
ii. Contract a Web Host for Pay
A Glance at Some Notable Webhosting Firms in Kenya
Since webhosting services are still limited, it is possible to cast your eye across the available web hosting firms. Some of the notable players on the Kenyan Market include
Peak and Dale Solutions.com
Peak and Dale webhosting Company offers web hosting services to Kenyans at pocket friendly rates.
You are also guaranteed seamless customer support that ensures reliability and security for your web hosting needs. The web host provides services for a wide range of users including those on Linux and Windows computer operating systems.
Users have the opportunity to choose from an array of web hosting plans that suits their operations, budget, and type of business. Like other world class webhosting companies, you are promised 99.9 percent runtime availability.
Peak and Dale Web Hosting On Linux
Some of the available service packs and plans available on Peak and Dale include a 520 MB space that comes with
- 5GB bandwidth,
- unlimited sub domains
- five email accounts
The 1000 MB plan entails
- 10GB Bandwidth
- Unlimited sub domains
- 10 email accounts to your credit
The 2000MB space plan
This plan comes with
- 20GB bandwidth
- unlimited email accounts
- unlimited subdomains
The three plans will cost you Ksh 3800,Ksh 7000 and Ksh 1000 respectively per annum.
The Linux Hosting Comes With Several Other Features
- Guaranteed and seamless support
- Powerful spam filters
- Several web based email pop3 accounts which come with automatic responders
- Mail lists
- Guaranteed continuous uptime
- Backups instantly available at your request
- ftp accounts
- file manager on the web
- MySQL databases
- languages and many scripts
In addition, the company offers some free and discounted services for users who wish to migrate from other hosting platforms. If you are moving from another host, you are promised free file transfers and free database relocation.
Safaricom Smart Biashara Hosting
The Safaricom Business web hosting is one of the players who have laid a strong claim on the web hosting market in Kenya. The company offers several webhosting plans that span the range of needs especially for business enterprises in Kenya.
They stand out because of their tailor made features which have been developed to serve the business needs of Kenyan users. Yet, the company sports state of the art technical equipment and advanced technologies that match the best on the global market.
Starting from as low as 599/= per year, Safaricom web hosting is definitely the best web hosting for small business owners in Kenya.
Kenya is marked as one of Africa’s most dynamic market in terms of information technology. It is a rising star in a region that has largely been receiving a lot of negative publicity from the media platforms and internet news channels.
The level of internet connectivity in the country is enviably high, a fact that has been boosted by the populations unrivalled interest in emerging technologies especially in the cellular phone market. The arrival of Smartphones phones has provided a suitable launching pad for Kenyan internet users to cruise and surf in unprecedented numbers.